Friday, December 5, 2008

Stress management

Hi Judanne,

As an Adult Guidance Counsellor, certain times in the year can be very stressful. For example around CAO time or at the beginning of the academic year when a lot of adults and young people are trying to get access to further or higher education.

If I was to put my stress levels into a figure I would have to say around 5 or 6. Although certain times of year can be very stressful I still get a lot of job satisafaction out of helping people make important decisions about there future careers. What can be very stressful is getting access to the necessary information for clients so they can make an informed decision around future career plans.

Ways to alleviate stress levels can be accessed - if a guidance counsellor has build up good links with external stakeholders, information can be more readily available. Being organised and having a plan in place can also alleviate some stress. But I feel having good networking skills is paramount to the success of the service you provide.

All the best.

Paul